Re: AW: [HACKERS] pg_dump core dump, upgrading from 6.5b1 to 5/24 sna pshot - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ari Halberstadt
Subject Re: AW: [HACKERS] pg_dump core dump, upgrading from 6.5b1 to 5/24 sna pshot
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 <Andreas.Zeugswetter@telecom.at> wrote:
>Wow, the beta is actually for people to test out if their applications will
>work on the new version 6.5. It is by no way for actual use, only for
>testing.
>Please use 6.4.2 until 6.5 is released.

I was running 6.4.2 but it had a terrible memory and/or table leak that
made it unuseable--one table got to 1GB the last week I used 6.4.2, with
only a few MB of real data. Vacuum was crashing, pg_dump was crashing, the
backend was dying. I had to go to 6.5b, which fortunately seems to have
fixed the exploding table problem.

>Marc, can you name the betas something like alpha and not beta,
>since beta seems to sound like something to use for productive work
>to a lot of people (like everyone uses squid beta versions)

Beta does sound more reliable than alpha.

-- Ari Halberstadt mailto:ari@shore.net <http://www.magiccookie.com/>
PGP public key available at <http://www.magiccookie.com/pgpkey.txt>